Non-Dependant Deductions

The Government has increased the amount that non-dependants who are living with you need to pay towards the rent. This applies to people on Housing Benefit with anyone living with them over the age of 18 (other than their partner).

What is a non-dependant?

People who share your home but do not depend on you for financial support, e.g. grown up children, relatives or friends. Carers and joint tenants are not non-dependants.

Non-dependants are not able to claim Housing Benefit for payments they make towards the rent.

The ‘non-dependant’ is expected to make a contribution to the rent whether they are working or receiving any of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Statutory Maternity/Paternity or Sick Pay
  • Work Based Training Allowance

How will this affect me?

If a non-dependant shares your home, it may well affect the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit that you received as they are expected to contribute towards the cost of the rent and Council Tax out of their earnings or benefits.

How will it affect my Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit?

Deductions are made from your Housing Benefit/Council tax Benefit for non-dependants aged over 18 who normally live with you. There are different levels of deduction, if the non-dependant works fewer than 16 hours per week, the lowest deduction applies and if the non-dependant works more than 16 hours a week the level of deduction depends on their income before tax is taken off.


No deductions are made if you are registered blind or receiving Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance. Deductions are not made if the non-dependant is receiving Pension Credit, is under 18 years old, is a student, is under 25 years old and receives Income support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or is in the assessment phase for ESA.