The Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap is a limit on the total benefits that a ‘working age’ household can receive. If one person of a couple is of working age the cap will still apply.

A household can be a single person, a couple, or a single person/couple with children that they are responsible for and who live with them.

If the cap applies to you the amount of money you get above the Benefit Cap limit will be taken off your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

How much is the cap?

If you’re getting Housing Benefit, the cap is:

  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you are a couple, whether your children live with you or not
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you are single and your children live with you
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you are single and you don’t have children, or your children don’t live with you

Which benefits are included in the cap?

The cap applies to your household income from most benefits, including Child Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Maternity Allowance and Incapacity Benefit.

Which benefit will exempt households from the benefit cap?

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Support component of ESA
  • War Widow/Widower’s Pension
  • Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments
  • War Pension Scheme payments

What can you do if you are affected by the cap?

Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit payments will be reduced,

Contact us on 0300 111 3030 or