Mid Wales Housing Association is part of both Powys County Council’s Common Housing Register Scheme and Ceredigion Council’s Common Housing Register. This means that Mid Wales Housing does not hold its own waiting list for its properties in either county. Please see separate headings for each county below for information on how to apply for a home.


If you are looking for affordable housing in Powys, please click the link below where you will be able to make a housing application online. You will also be able to find information about the Common Allocations Scheme which is in use in Powys, including details of how priority is decided between applicants, and lots of other advice.

A copy of the Common Housing Register Policy and procedure can be found in the download area of our website.



If you are looking for housing in Ceredigion, the first step is to contact Ceredigion Council’s housing team on 01545 574123. They will guide you through the application process and will come up with the best housing solution for you based on the information that you give. 

A copy of the Ceredigion Common Allocation Policy can be found in the download area of our website. You can also find more information about applying at: 


Sustainable Tenancies

At Mid-Wales Housing we are committed to ensuring that any person living in our properties is able to sustain their tenancy. With this in mind there are certain measures within the application process to ensure that our tenants are able to sustain their tenancy. These are as follows: 

1. Budget Planner

The Budget Planner asks you to list your income and outgoings which will help us to establish whether you are able to ‘afford’ to meet the financial commitments when renting a home from us. You may already rent your present home or this may be your first home, but we would like to ensure you can sustain your tenancy with us a long time.

Should we feel you will not be able to meet the financial commitments of living in one of our homes then we will not simply decline your application but we will suggest you meet with someone who can offer budgeting advice which will hopefully assist you in increasing your income or reducing your outgoings.

However, should you choose not to complete the Budget Planner and return it to us we will not be able to consider you for one of our homes.

2. Bank Account

With the imminent introduction of Universal Credit (the new way of paying all welfare benefits in one payment to those who receive benefits) we want to ensure all our tenants have bank accounts. In future, you will not be able to receive benefits, including housing benefit, without a bank account.

Please indicate on the Budget Planner if you have a bank account or not.

If you do not currently have a bank account and you would like us to advise you how to get one, please indicate this to us.

3. Rent

If you are offered one of our homes you will sign a tenancy agreement which states within clause 1.1 that "All payments ... are due in advance on the first day of each week". When our Community Housing Officer meets you at your new home to hand over the keys you will be expected to pay 1 week’s rent to them irrespective of any application for housing benefit. Should you wish to pay monthly then this should also be in advance but can be discussed at the time.

If you are unable to pay 1 week’s rent on or before the handover of keys, then we will retract the offer and not proceed with the tenancy.

4. Offer of Accommodation

Should you be offered a home with us we will review your Budget Planner and check that you have a bank account.

During the Budget Planner review, if any changes to your financial circumstances are indicated, we will refer you to speak to an advisor. We will arrange this service for you and it is free of charge.

If you are not able to provide proof that you have a bank account or do not have one, we will retract the offer and not proceed with the tenancy.

The Next Step

When one of our properties becomes available, we will normally contact the highest placed applicant from the Common Housing Register and will arrange a viewing.