The New Business team is responsible for all new build development and the ongoing asset management and maintenance of the Association’s stock.
Specifically, these two areas of work consist of the following: -
- Acquisition of land & buildings and the development of new properties
- Disposal of properties, including those purchased under the Right to Acquire, Shared ownership, Home-buy or Tenure Neutral routes
- Overseeing minor and major adaptation requests and processing associated grant applications
- Seeking grant funding to support new development, energy efficiency measures or community based environmental projects
- Management of the Association’s commercial lettings
- The project management of all planned maintenance, cyclical, servicing and WHQS works programmes
- Overseeing all Health & Safety works in relation to fire risk & prevention, electrical safety and the management of asbestos
- Management of the Association’s asset management system and the verification of stock condition and component data; undertaking surveys in accordance with Association procedures and the review of future stock investment requirements, including the completion of scheme viability assessments
- In conjunction with Community Housing Officers, undertake resident consultation with regard to planned maintenance programmes, design standards and environmental improvements.
The New Business Team are:
New Business Team Leader
Systems Team Leader
Grants & Adaptations Officer
Managing The Association’s Assets
The Association currently has over 1600 properties in management. The majority of its properties are spread across two counties in Mid- Wales (83% in Powys and 17% in Ceredigion). The Association also has four properties in Shropshire.
Our properties can be broken down into the following types:
- General Rented Homes
- Supported Housing (providing 71 bed-spaces)
- Individually Supported Residents
- Sheltered Accommodation
- Sold, Shared ownership & Leasehold Properties
We conduct detailed surveys of our properties and record this information on our database. This provides us with a full schedule of items to be replaced (e.g. doors, windows, heating systems) and the replacement cost. This information is then used to determine the amount of money that we need to invest in the future.
We develop a 30 year programme of replacements for each property within our stock, depending on the maintenance requirements of each. A rolling programme of surveys is also carried out annually to ensure this information is kept up to date.
Analysis of this data indicates the potential liability for reinvestment over the next 30 years (2015-2045) is £31.5m (on average £1.05m per year, which does not include inflation). This figure relates to the cost of replacing items within our properties, (kitchens, bathrooms, boilers, etc.) and does not allow for overhead costs, responsive maintenance, cyclical painting, or the improvement programmes required for WHQS works.
Cyclical Maintenance (Painting/Servicing)
The painting programme is based on a six year cycle and includes pre-paint repairs, external painting, cleaning of uPVC windows/door frames and decorating internal communal areas.
Where practical, a choice of paint colours for front doors will be offered to tenants as part of the programme.
In addition to annual gas & heating system servicing, arrangements are in place for servicing/maintaining other equipment, including:
- Fire alarms
- Fire equipment
- Sewage treatment
- Periodic electrical testing
- Specialist Equipment
- Communal aerials
All communal aerials were upgraded just prior to Wales “going digital” in order to allow receipt of digital (free to air signals). These systems also have the capability to receiving subscription channels, interactive TV, Sky etc. (provided that residents have the necessary equipment installed).
The Association will continue to comply with current and future legislation regarding the servicing of gas, electrical and fire safety appliances, and will ensure it has procedures and resources in place to meet its obligations in this respect.